11 October 2011

Goodbye, Steve Jobs...For Real, This Time



Image Source: http://www.globalnerdy.com


When Steve Jobs resigned from Apple, I wrote a blog about his departure.  Yet, it's taken me a few days to write after his death.  I'm not sure why that is, but I think maybe I needed to process what losing someone like Steve Jobs means for our technological future.


Steve Jobs was the foremost inventor of our time.  He did more for computing and technological creativity than anyone, ever.  His vision, commitment to ingenuity and perfection, and willingness to think big has forever shaped, well, everything.


Many of us have listened to Jobs's commencement address at Stanford University.  And while all the talk about death in the address seems rather pertinent with his recent passing, I think this speech is a beautiful way to remember him -- wise, motivated, accepting nothing less than perfection.  Here's a favorite quote of mine from his talk:
Your time is limited, so don’t waste it living someone else’s life. Don’t be trapped by dogma — which is living with the results of other people’s thinking. Don’t let the noise of others’ opinions drown out your own inner voice. And most important, have the courage to follow your heart and intuition. They somehow already know what you truly want to become. Everything else is secondary.
And, his final advice really spoke to me: Stay foolish.  Stay hungry.


Thanks, Steve.  I will.

No comments: