07 September 2011

What's on Your Bucket List?

While I was teaching in the Dominican Republic, we did a unit on Tuesdays with Morrie.  It really is a lovely little book, and it got us, as a class, thinking about what we'd each individually like to do before we die.  Not in a creepy sense, but it a life-is-too-short sorta sense.  It prompted some interesting discussions, but I haven't really thought much about the topic since then.

Lately, though, I've been hearing a lot of talk about "bucket lists".  I can't help but wonder: do people actually write these things out?  I always thought of a bucket list as a metaphorical thing; it seemed that someone would say, "Oh, yeah, that's on my bucket list!" in reference to any cool thing he or she wanted to do.

Recently, someone specifically mentioned adding an item to his bucket list complete with a number, which gave me pause.  Do people really take these bucket lists seriously?  It seems so.

I think I'd like to get in on this bucket-list-havin' crowd.  So, below, I've started an initial bucket list.  It'll need some refinement, but it's a start, anyhow:

  1. Travel every continent of the world extensively.
  2. See the seven wonders of the modern and ancient world.
  3. Travel Ireland for several weeks/months.
  4. See Machu Picchu at sunrise.
  5. Skydive.
  6. Write and publish a book (as a sole author, not coauthor or editor).
  7. Take a Mediterranean cruise.
  8. Have artwork on display at an art museum.
  9. Build a house near water (preferably the ocean), with a separate writing and art studio.
  10. Take a big vacation alone to write, think, and explore.
  11. Run a half marathon (this may graduate to a full as I get older).
So, there is is--all written out and numbered.  I officially have a bucket list; it's definitely not a full list, but it's a start.  

What about you?  What's on your bucket list?

No comments: