28 November 2011

Moving Forward

Image source: http://gurugilbert.com/wp-content/ambition1.jpg
Sometimes, being stagnant is easy.  It's easy to keep doing the same thing, day after day, year after year, decade after decade.  It's easy, yes, but it's not what makes a person happy.

Sure, stability is nice.  I agree with that.  But you know what gets me out of bed each morning (aside from my faith, husband, and all of the other awesome things I have to be thankful for)?  It's opportunity.  Each day is a new and exciting opportunity to make it better than the last.  It's the chance to achieve dreams.  It's the crazy attempt to realize each and every thing I've ever wanted to do.

For me, the key is maintaining a good and positive attitude and work ethic.  It's being excited for each day, and really, truly thankful for all of the good things in my life.

Of course, I could be better.  I've been known to sleep in, cranky face to world, not ready to get up and face the day.  But those days are few and far between (although my husband might beg to differ), and I really do try to approach each day with an I-can-conquer-the-world attitude.

I'm curious what other people do to keep themselves moving forward, from being anything but stagnant. Any ideas?  I'm all ears.

3 comments:

Jason said...

Thanks for sharing, hon! A good attitude about the opportunities you are given is essential for making the best of each day. For me, I'm trying to slow down and tap into being a little more mindful. It's too easy to get swept up in the flurry of school deadlines and life itself. It's difficult to just live for the day at hand. On good days, I wake up and pray that the Lord would use me for His good. Then, I just focus on that day. When the day is done and I can truly say I paid attention to the passing minutes, then I feel like I've accomplished something: not letting time pass me by. I suppose everyone has different definitions about success, so it's important that no matter how you go about your day, you are being congruent with the person you are and what impact on the world you hope to make. =) Love you!

Stacy Lynn said...

Em, those are great thoughts. I agree. Sometimes it's hard to find a balance between the "important" things. For example, money is important, because it means security and stability. Relationships and faith are important because they give meaning to our lives. Achieving "success" is important, because it helps us feel proud and worthwhile, as though we are fully realizing all of the wonderful gifts God has given us.

At the same time, there is something to be said about living in the moment. But how can we do that in every moment? It's difficult to be in the moment while grocery shopping, paying bills, and doing other menial tasks. It's difficult to find the power of the present in difficult work or life situations, too. And while I totally and completely agree with you, I know this is something I will always struggle with, because I am constantly thinking about what tomorrow will bring. I'm always dreaming, always thinking of new ideas, always wondering what's around the corner. While I've thought of that as a strength in the past, I realize that it can also be a weakness, because sometimes it doesn't allow me to really be here, now, in this moment.

Thanks for the thoughts, Em. I sure didn't expect to go into such a deep response, but I appreciate the things you've given me to think about. Love you!

Jason said...

If it was easy, it wouldn't be an accomplishment! =) I love your thoughts! I would love to sit down and have more in-depth conversations with you, amusing ponderings and "what ifs". I live for these chats! Muah!