|Image source: http://vi.sualize.us/splinteredheart/the%20office/?waterflow|
I'm not usually one to follow TV shows, but I got a little addicted to The Office while living in Vietnam. I'm a fan.
So, when NBC announced that Steve Carell was leaving the show, I was more than a little bummed. Nonetheless, I tried to approach season eight with optimism...only to be let down terribly. Below, I've compiled a list of five reasons The Office isn't as awesome anymore.
- The most obvious: Michael Scott isn't on anymore...and Andy is a poor, not-as-funny substitute.
- There isn't a central romance. In past seasons, there has been a driving relationship: Jim and Pam; Dwight/Andy and Angela; Andy/Gabe and Erin; and then Michael and Holly. It seems as though they're building up to a romance between Andy and Erin, but they're taking their sweet time...and it's a little too predictable.
- The script is almost too funny. It seems like the writers are overcompensating for Michael Scott's absence.
- The awkward, I-find-you-attractive-but-I'll-never-admit-it relationship between Michael and Ryan is gone. Oh how I miss that.
- There's a hint of sadness on the set. It's like the characters know they are doomed without Michael Scott there.